With tilling season coming up, you might be looking for a way to quickly and efficiently prepare the land for use. Instead of doing this by hand, you might be thinking about using a rear tine tiller. What is a rear tine tiller? What are a few of the reasons why you might want to use a rear tine tiller? Learn more about rear tine tillers below, and figure out which one is best for your needs.
What Are Rear Tine Rototillers?
A rear tine rototiller is a specific device that has been designed to work in a large, open garden area. The tines are in the back, and the engine is located in the front. The machine propels itself.
The tines may rotate in both directions, making a rear tiller a versatile, flexible device. On some rear tine tillers, the tines actually rotate backyard while the engine drives the machine forward. This is called a “counter-rotating” rear tine roto tiller. If you have a dual-rotating model, the tines are able to rotate in both directions. The means that you can manipulate the soil faster, saving time.
When comparing front tine vs rear tine tillers, a rear tine tiller is usually more expensive; however, a rear tine tiller is also more versatile and effective than a front tine tiller, which is why it has become so popular among recreational and professional landscapers.
Benefits of Rear Tine Tillers
If you have tough, hard soil that you need to get through, then you might be thinking about putting a rear tine tiller to work for you. There are several key benefits that you will enjoy if you decide to use this machine. They include:
- A rear tine tiller uses wheels that are driven by the engine; however, the tines can work independently of the wheels. This means that you have more control over the tines themselves, directing them wherever you need them to go.
- Some rear tine tillers actually have counter-rotating tines. This means that the tines turn in the opposite direction of the wheels. This allows you to till tough or new ground that a front tine tiller cannot get through. In general, the best garden tiller for breaking new ground will be a rear tine tiller.
- You can also save money by going with a rear tine tiller that has standard rotating tines which rotate in the same direction as the wheels. If you are re-tilling your soil and want to save money, you may want to go with this option.
- A rear tine tiller usually comes with an adjustable depth regulator. This allows you to till at various depths in different types of soil, customizing your machine to meet your needs.
- The vast majority of rear tine tiller has treaded wheels. This allows them to track and work appropriately even on tough ground.
- A rear tine tiller usually comes with rear and side shields. This is an important safety mechanism that can prevent serious injuries from taking place.
These are just a few of the top benefits of using a rear tine tiller. It is easy to see why so many outdoorsmen have decided to enlist the help of a rear tine tiller.
When To Use a Rear Tine Tiller
There are a few specific situations where you probably would like to put a rear tine tiller to work for you. A few examples include:
- If you are looking for a machine that can break through hard ground, then you will want to use a rear tine tiller. A front tine tiller (or a handheld tool) is not going to be strong enough to cut through fresh ground.
- If you are trying to loosen hard or rocky soil, then you want to use a rear tine tiller. Specifically, a counter-rotating rear tine tiller will have the power you need to quickly move the rocks out of the way, saving time on your project.
- If you are trying to dig a large garden or a small farm plot, a rear tine tiller will help you do this efficiently. You might not want to spring for a larger device at this size; however, you do not want to do this by hand either.
A rear tine tiller is usually a large machine. Therefore, they might be more difficult to push or steer than a front tine tiller; however, a rear tine tiller also provides more power than many other devices. Even though a rear tine tiller is heavier, you can leverage this weight to your advantage, generating more force behind the tines. This allows you to quickly till the soil.
The Best Rear Tine Tiller Options:
Earthquake Rear Tine Tillers
The Earthquake 33970 Victory Rear Tine Tiller
The Earthquake 33970 Victory Rear Tine Tiller delivers a tremendous amount of power in a compact frame. It is lighter than many of the other rear tine tillers available. It features counter-rotating tines that help you cut through tough ground. It is easy to maneuver, comes with a reverse gear to back up easily, and features a durable design. It is also the best rototiller for rocky soil because it has plenty of power and can break through tough ground.
A few benefits of the Earthquake 33970 Victory Rear Tine Tiller include:
- This rear tine tiller goes in reverse, allowing you to change directions easily.
- It is one of the smaller options available, fitting into tight spaces easily.
- It has counter-rotating tines that cut through the tough ground easily.
On the other hand, the Earthquake 33970 Victory Rear Tine Tiller is not as powerful as some other options. It also doesn’t last as long as some heavier options. That being said, the Earthquake 33970 Victory Rear Tine Tiller could be right for you.
Troy Built Rear Tine Tillers
The Troy Bilt Super Bronco Rear-Tine Counter-Rotating Gas Tiller
The Troy Bilt Counter-Rotating Rear Tine Tiller hits our best rear tine tiller list. It is a gas-powered machine that uses Bolo tines to quickly separate soil. It has a cast-iron transmission with bronze gears that generate extra strength and durability. The engine is powerful enough to cut through tough, heavy sod quickly.
A few benefits of the Troy Bilt Counter-Rotating Rear Tine Tiller include:
- This rear tine tiller comes with wide handles for improved dexterity.
- The handle height is adjustable to keep you comfortable.
- The tires are agricultural, treaded tires that increase traction and maneuverability.
Even though the Troy Bilt Counter-Rotating Rear Tine Tiller is durable and powerful, it is also heavier, which can make it harder to push. It is also a bit more expensive than some other choices. With these benefits, the Troy Bilt Counter-Rotating Rear Tine Tiller is still a popular choice.
Champion Rear Tine Tillers
The Champion Power Equipment Counter-Rotating Gas Rear Tine Tiller
Another option to consider is the Champion Counter-Rotating Rear Tine Tiller, which is a gas-powered tiller. It features a powerful 212 cc motor and 13-inch wheels that provide added traction. The tines are 13.8 inches in length. They are counter-rotating tines for added power. The Champion Counter-Rotating Rear Tine Tiller also allows you to adjust the tilling depth, tailoring your tiller to meet your needs.
A few key benefits of the Champion Counter-Rotating Rear Tine Tiller include:
- This tiller has longer tines for added power.
- You can adjust the tilling depth to meet your needs.
- The motor is one of the most powerful on the market.
Even though this is a powerful rear tine tiller, the Champion Counter-Rotating Rear Tine Tiller’s handlebar can slip out of your hands when wet. The wheels can also get stuck from time to time. If you need a powerful tiller, the Champion Counter-Rotating Rear Tine Tiller could be the right choice.
Yard Machine Rear Tine Tillers
The Yardmax Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
Next on our best rear tine tiller list is the Yardmax Rotating Rear Tine Tiller. This rear tine tiller comes with a self-propelled drive system that gives you a greater degree of control. You can even drive this rear tine tiller with one hand, making it easier to steer. It can rotate its tines in both directions, helping to till the ground to your liking.
A few top benefits of the Yardmax Rotating Rear Tine Tiller include:
- You can rotate the tines in both directions, adding another layer of control.
- This is a relatively light tiller that you can steer with one hand.
- It comes with a self-propelled drive system.
Even though this tiller is easy to use, it is not the most powerful option available. It also doesn’t last as long as some other choices. If you are looking for the best rear tine tiller that is easy to control, consider the Yardmax Rotating Rear Tine Tiller.